The NZCTU recognises that healthy and safe work is a fundamental right for all workers, and a critical aspect of good work. Research shows that unionised workplaces are safer workplaces.
Workers are the ones who feel the impact of poor workplace health and safety. In Aotearoa New Zealand, too many workers are hurt on the job due to unsafe working conditions and an inability to speak up on health and safety issues.
Our work focuses on guaranteeing better protections for workers and strengthening their rights at work. We also support our affiliates to keep workers safe on the job and ensure that workers have a real say on matters that impact their health and safety.
Find out more below.
Latest Health & Safety News
- Human cost of workplace deaths shows the need for corporate manslaughter lawsThe number of voices echoing our call for the introduction of corporate manslaughter laws continues to grow. Today we added our names to the open letter of Anna Osborne and… Read More »Human cost of workplace deaths shows the need for corporate manslaughter laws
- WorkSafe job losses another reminder of risks to public services this electionWorking people will bear the brunt of WorkSafe’s proposal for a deep and wide restructuring that was announced today said the New Zealand Council of Trade Unions. “Reducing WorkSafe’s capacity… Read More »WorkSafe job losses another reminder of risks to public services this election
- Health and Safety News Round-upSummations and links to recent health and safety cases. Solidarity to the whānau and friends of the victims. Forestry private prosecution: employer continues blames worker for their own death After… Read More »Health and Safety News Round-up
- Action still required to eliminate the harm caused by engineered stoneMore needs to be done to protect people who work with engineered stone. Workers in these industries are being exposed to highly hazardous silica dust and fears remain for their… Read More »Action still required to eliminate the harm caused by engineered stone
- Updated COVID GuidanceFrom 15 August 2023 there are no longer any public health mandated requirements This means that there is no longer a mandatory 7-day isolation period when testing positive for COVID-19.… Read More »Updated COVID Guidance
- Onya, Australia – time for New Zealand to do more to protect workersAnother Australian jurisdiction has just made moves to make industrial manslaughter a criminal offense. And it’s time New Zealand follows suit. South Australia has recently introduced a new Industrial Manslaughter… Read More »Onya, Australia – time for New Zealand to do more to protect workers
Guidance regarding workplace drug and alcohol policies.
Guidance for workers on COVID related matters in the workplace.