Closing date: Monday 12 June 2023
Unite has a vacancy for a permanent Organiser based in the Waikato/Bay of Plenty.
The successful applicant will primarily be recruiting and organising workers in the Fast Food sector but also in some other sectors that Unite represents, particularly Cinemas & Hotels. The position could be full time or part time (negotiable).
We are looking for applicants with:
• A strong commitment to working people and the union movement.
• An ability to improve the quality of Unite members’ working lives.
• The skills to develop and support members and delegates in dealing with issues impacting on their working lives.
• The ability to directly recruit new union members and support delegate recruitment on worksites.
• Negotiation skills are an advantage, however training will be provided.
• Excellent communication, advocacy and leadership skills.
• Good computer and social media skills.
• An ability to work accurately and efficiently under pressure, both independently and as part of a team.
• A current full driver’s licence (or significant progress towards a full licence).
• Skills and experience with migrant and/or young workers would be an advantage.
There are a number of options available for work transport, including reimbursement for the use of a personal vehicle, financial assistance to purchase a suitable vehicle and provision of union vehicle.
Terms and conditions are offered in accordance with the Unite Staff Employment Agreement. Unite is an accredited Living Wage employer.
Please apply in writing (by email preferred), including a CV and contact details for up to three referees by 5pm Monday 12th June 2023.
Applications and requests for more information can be sent to:
Phone 029 6951135
Fax: 09 846 9509
PO Box 41211, St Lukes, Auckland 1346
1. Recruitment of new members within the assigned areas.
2. Provide advice to and advocacy for, members on employment related matters,including personal grievance cases within the assigned area.
3. Local implementation of campaigns within the assigned area.
4. Deal with membership inquiries/requests for assistance in respect of collective/individual agreements.
5. Keep accurate records of interactions with members and other work related communications.
6. Liaise with other Unite organisers.
7. Such other duties as may be required by the secretary.
8. Other tasks may be allocated, dependent upon allocation of responsibilities
Terms of Appointment
1. The appointee will be responsible to the National Secretary
2. This is a salaried position, with some reasonable flexibility in hours and overtime required.
3. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and in accordance with the salary scale in the collective agreement for Unite Union employees. Unite is an accredited Living Wage employer and remuneration for all positions ranges from the Living Wage up to the level of the median wage depending on skills, experience and service length.
4. Unite is an equal employment opportunities employer.
5. Area of responsibility may include sites within the upper/central North Island region
6. The appointee could be based in any one of a number of central North Island cities or towns, such as Rotorua or Hamilton.
7. A current drivers licence is required.
Contact person: John Crocker