Contact: 03 372 9738 PO Box 21-106, Edgeware, Christchurch, Canterbury 8143
MERAS represents over 90% of midwives and maternity care assistants employed in maternity services across New Zealand providing a strong collective voice on workplace issues. MERAS ensures the role of midwives is recognised and valued, their professional needs are supported and opportunities for career development and midwifery leadership are encouraged.
Which industries/sectors are covered by the union?
Midwives (including student midwives) and maternity care assistants
MERAS membership reflects the demography of midwives in New Zealand. This includes Māori, Pacific, Pakeha and migrant midwives from their early 20’s to 70+ years. MERAS has the highest percentage of female membership of any union.
MERAS represents, advises and supports members in their employment issues, negotiates Collective Agreements, and supports the professional needs of employed midwives and Maternity Care Assistants. Other benefits currently being updated.
Cost of membership
- Full time membership: $320 per year or $12.31/fortnight.
- Low income(under $30,000/year): $160 per year or $6:16 per fortnight.
- Graduate midwife: $160 per year or $6:16 per fortnight.
- Student Midwife: free membership.
- Te Whatu Ora – Health NZ
- Hokianga Health Enterprise Trust
- Rodney Coast Midwives 2020 Limited
- Auckland Birthcare Limited
- Huntly Birthcare Limited
- River Ridge East Birth Centre Limited
- Waterford 2020 Birth Centre Limited
- Te Awamutu Birth Centre
- Bethlehem Birthing Centre Limited
- Nga Hau Mangere Birthing Centre
- Ngati Porou Hauora
- Taihape Birth Centre
- Tararua Health Group Limited
- Waitaki District Health Services Limited
Leadership people info
- Caroline Conroy MERAS Co-Leader (Midwifery)
- Sam Jones MERAS Co-Leader (Industrial)